Friday, 4 January 2013

eclectic paperie`s Get Altered Challenge . . .

Happy Friday everyone!
Just stopping by to share my altered canvas for the first eclectic paperie`s Get Altered Challenge.
The Get Altered Challenge is about exploring your creativity, stepping outside your comfort zone, experimenting with new products and creating altered and mixed media art.
This week`s challenge is to use Canvas in your project.
Here is my altered canvas
" Dance as if no one were watching "
I have made a few canvases but using patterned paper, so right away I was outside my comfort zone!
I was lying in bed the other night thinking about . . . canvas as you do . . .  when I started thinking about the beautiful dress forms I have seen on Pinterest . . .then I thought . . . you will never believe me, lol . . . okay I will tell you and then you will know just how mad I am

"TOILET PAPER"

Yes good old toilet paper!
The stuff is AMAZING once you seperate the layers . . .  going to have to stock up on even more,lol!!
Well this was a huge step for me and sadly in my frantic,feverish, nervous way I did not get any step by step pictures . . .this time, but I just know that I will be doing more soon.
Here is a close up of the pssst toilet roll dress
It`s very fragile so I sprayed it with . . .oh my giddy aunt am I really going to confess . . .
a light dusting of hairspray from a distance.
The canvas was already primed with Gesso so I cracked open some white acrylic paint, splodged some on the canvas and worked it around, let it dry.
I then took my toilet tissue, now separated and tore it into pieces and the placed it onto the canvas, dabbing with a solution of watered down glue and teasing it into shape.
Then applying carefully some Distress ink with a paintbrush to colour.
Next came the splatters with the help of a Tim Holtz Distress ink pad in Fired Brick, popped some on my craft mat, sprayed with water and then loaded my brush . . .splat away!
For the shadows around the outside I used more Tim Holtz Distress Ink pads in Walnut Stain , Black Soot  along with the Fired Brick again popping some on to my craft mat, spraying with water and applying with a brush till I was happy.
You can`t see it very well in the pictures but I also added some German Glitter Glass in pearl and sand along with a little Clearsnap Glitz Smooch in Frost.
I really did enjoy putting this together and hope you will come on over and join in the fun at
Have a great weekend.
Hugs
xoxox

21 comments:

Molly said...

Luv this! WowwWWwwwwwwwww looks sooo good xx

butterfly said...

Wow - Tracy, this is simply stunning... toilet paper and hairspray turned into an artistic masterpiece! I love the delicate colours, wonderful texture and such a fabulous use of the white space - I'm open-mouthed - gorgeous!
Alison xx

Emily Keaton said...

This is absolutely beautiful!

Kim said...

Pure genius Tracy...just stunning!

Gwen said...

Amazing! Love the soft, almost watercolor look of this! Goes to show nothing is off limits when it comes to mixed media!! :)

Julie Short said...

Tracy I love the ethereal look your canvas has. It is delightful Using mundane for extraordinary is inspiring.

Marjie Kemper said...

Tracy, this is awesome! Thanks for sharing the close up photos... I just love it! The texture from the TP is amazing.

Rhonda Miller said...

Oh my goodness Tracy, this is beautiful.

Rebecca Daniels said...

WOW! This is stunning! And so funny the product that actually MADE it so awesome....

Anonymous said...

really like ur canvas.so diffe.rent

Annmaree (Emu) said...

Beautiful canvas and wonderful idea! I actually have an idae for this challenge, I just have to get myself a canvas!

Broni said...

I love this, Tracy!! So soft and elegant looking! Love the toilet paper idea and how you added the color!!

Bee's hive said...

AAAmazing bathroom ingredients! Love that the toilet paper looks like rose petals...you make the connection I don't need to do it for you. But truly an amazing project!

Jan Hennings said...

Love this! Amazing technique!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful - I've used toilet paper to make raised embellies by pouncing layers with water onto a nice rubber stamp then letting it dry overnight. Cut around the image and instant pretty almost free embellie! Mary W

Erin Smetak said...

Wow! What artistry! This is stunning!

Micki said...

PURE GENIUS. Yes, I'm shouting. I LOVE it!!!! As I was reading I was really hoping you'd say how you created the dress because I immediately loved the texture and was drawn to it. Oh I wish I knew you and lived by you.....the fun we could have, lol. I so have to try that product on canvas. Thank you so much for playing along in eP's Get Altered challenge.

Geraldine said...

gorgeous canvas, love the dress and the colours.

Angela said...

Simply fabulous. Love it!
A

sandee said...

I'm really not sure what I loved most, your canvas ( which is stunning ) or the way you write ( which was humorous ) either way I am now following your blog ;) waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

Alexa said...

The loo paper certainly did the trick - amazing!! Lovely canvas.